Thursday, May 10, 2012

Media Moment: "Scarlett Johansson: My Sexuality Is Boring"






"Scarlett Johansson thinks her striking good looks are a 'by-product of being curvy', but she tries not to think about her natural beauty because she finds it 'boring' to talk about."


Scarlett Johansson plays Black Widow in the superhero movie The Avengers, but claims to find her own sexuality ‘boring’ and tries not to think about it. When Johansson is asked how she feels about her looks she says, “I think that’s just a by-product of being curvy. I never think about it, except when I get constant questions in interviews about sexuality. I really have nothing to say about any of that stuff because it’s so boring.” In the film, Johansson had to wear a skin-tight cat suit to portray Black Widow, but she’d rather explore her character’s ‘dark past’ than her alter-ego’s sexual power. 
I came across this article when I was skimming news headlines and thought it would be a great media moment to generate conversation. I think all superheroine characters should represent more of there badass characteristics and spend less time on there sexuality. I think the perpetuation of these films in the media that flaunt sexuality just fertile soil for the insecurities to flourish among women.

''When I met with Marvel they agreed that there's not really been a good female superhero movie and they wanted to get away from that overly sexy superheroine thing.''

Why do you think these superheroine characters rely on their sexuality and being posy and sexy as opposed to being a badass?

No comments:

Post a Comment