Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Reflection #2

Last week, we had a conversation about women's sexuality that if a women is open about her sexuality she's a whore and if she's more reserved she's a prude. It seems as if you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. The reason I chose to write about this in my reflection was because this past week my young sister, 18 years old, quit her job as a hostess due to a comment her head chef made a work. The two were in an argument when he yelled "Why don't you just go put on some more makeup!" He was implying that she wears too much makeup, as if he was in any position to judge how much makeup is too much and how much isn't enough. I had a similar issue at a previous bartending job but where I was told I don't wear enough make up and that is would be beneficial to all if I put in the "extra effort". This just reminded me of that conversation where I felt many women in the room expressing how they feel like they just can't win. I feel like many women do feel this way, that despite their own instinct or judgement we are constantly facing disapproval or scrutiny for our decisions when it comes to our appearances. Why aren't men pressured the fit our standards in the same fashion?

No comments:

Post a Comment