Friday, November 22, 2013

Reflection #2

The last class was interesting for me because it made me question my thoughts of homosexuality as either genetic or a choice. Choice gives people agency. It is powerful. No one can take away your choices or have you "pray away" what you are. (Some religious conservative groups created organization designed to "pray away the gay" in people.) When homosexuality is seen as only genetic, anti-gay bigots take that as a sign that there is something wrong with being born like that. However, when homosexuality is seen as only a choice, it disregards the fact that people of the same sex can be naturally attracted to one another. For me, I think both are true. Homosexuality (and heterosexuality) is both genetic and a choice. The discussion on biology vs. choice gave me a lot to think about and swayed my opinion on the matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment