Sunday, November 24, 2013

Girls Toys-Pink Bow and Arrow?

Media moment 3
I was watching TV with my little brothers and I came across this ad. Obviously its trying to cash in on the Hunger Games franchise with the bow and arrow but immediately I wondered why did it have to be pink, and why was one of them called "heartbreak bow" and why rebelle...belle as in pretty in French. While these things are okay and maybe I'm reading too much into it I just can't understand why a cross and bow for girls has to look so "girly and pinky". The whole point of Katniss' character in the Hunger Games is that she is strong and independent and does what is not expected of her. This toy just forces girls back into the gender stereotypes. It gives them a little "freedom" but not too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment