Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Media Moment, "Better Out Than In: Day 19"


This is the street artist Bansky's nineteenth installment in his residency within New York. This work appears on a Staten Island street and is centered around an anthill. When I first viewed this teaser for the piece, I didn't have much of a reaction. As it zooms out to it's final frame, the womanly shape can be made out and the vaginal imagery comes full circle. While I didn't have much of a reaction to this piece, I'm interested in what the rest of you folks have to say about this. How do you feel upon your first viewing? Can you parse out any deeper meaning than this piece's appearance? Do you feel that the artist by making the most private part of a woman literally equivalent to the street, to be stomped on and stepped over is objectifying here? Do you feel that having a tiny community centered around a vaginal representation says something about matriarchy? Perhaps there's a play on the queen ant to be made here? What do you guys think?

- Will Burkhardt

1 comment:

  1. I must say I don't have much of a reaction either, I find it funny and just goes to show Banksy's creativity and making art out of something as small as an ant hill

    ReplyDelete