Sunday, October 6, 2013

Media Moment- Derewko Torres- Extra

Does anyone find this offensive?

This is actress Michelle Williams not an actual native american person. Many of us may know her as a very white and blonde actress yet here for the cover of this magazine she appears to have taken on a role of a redface. This came to my attention because the term blackface was used a lot in the documentary we saw last week and I wondered if this could be equally offensive? Can anyone else think of other examples like this one?

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with you, Derewko. When it comes to casting, Hollywood has a way of surprising me sometimes. Rather than take the time to find an actress that fits the "look" and has the talent to play the role, the producers decide it would be smart to hire Michelle Williams, a white woman with blonde hair? It reminds me of the casting for Katniss Everdeen in "The Hunger Games". In the book, Katniss is described as having an olive skin tone. Does Jennifer Lawrence look like she could fit the image of Katniss that readers have embedded in their minds? I don't think so. I personally don't think Michelle Williams is really a good actress to begin with, but that's beside the point. Still, I totally agree with you.

    ReplyDelete