Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Media Moment : Verizon Home Phone

Since starting the readings for this class I have been trying to analyze every thing I come across in the media. I've been diligent in trying to deconstruct even the smallest advertisements I see. Peering into store windows to look at the ads has not been uncommon for me lately. I walk by a Verizon store every day and always notice this but tonight as I passed it I realized how it does have an underlying stereotype associated with it. Forgetting the fact that no one has a home phone anymore, do you think having a woman, of this age and complexion, in this ad was intentional? As in, they are marketing this to women because they're the ones who classically stay at home? You can see this ad at the Verizon store on Lexington Ave if my poor quality picture doesn't suffice.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a great example of a hidden message that most people don't see. I too am also trying to examine media more closely than I normally do, but I definitely wouldn't have come across the whole "women staying home" stereotype had you not mentioned it! I think the women in the ad might have actually been intentional in the sense that they are trying to appeal to the "stay at home woman." Great find! definitely something I would not have noticed. I think most people wouldn't have seen this ad as targeting women. It seems very harmless at first.

    ReplyDelete