Monday, December 17, 2012

Media Moment: “Should toy marketing be gender-neutral?"


I was watching NBC in the morning on Saturday morning, December 8th, and saw this clip.  It’s about how boy toys are marketed towards boys and girls are marketed towards girls.  Companies are catching flack for stereotypical marketing and advertising.  There is a little girl who is interviewed, and she is “appalled” by the stereotypical marketing.  It fascinates me that one so young would be so concerned about this topic at such an early age. 


I played with Barbies as a child, and mostly “girl” toys.  Even whenever the boys were around on the playground, we would play GI Joe though none of us girls were ever allowed to be the boy characters.  I was (and still am) a pretty girly-girl, and maybe this is because I played Barbies and staged beauty pageants with my girlfriends as a child.  J  What toys did you play with as a child, and what kind of affect did it have on your upbringing?  

No comments:

Post a Comment