Monday, December 17, 2012

Class Reflection 12/ 05: the class in which we discussed about transgender communities was very important to me. I liked the slides with the definitions, the discussion etc. The example Abby gave about her friend who used to be George and became Katie was very clarifying. Before that class, I had a slight idea about transgender communities. As I said, I thought transgender women were just an extension of gay men, I didn't know there were transgender men and they didn't get along with gay communities. The readings also reflected the role media performs on perpetuating stereotypes about transgender communities. It's a shame that it took me a diversity class to learn about these things. I wonder how can the general public know about transgender people's reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment