Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Media Moment 1. Judah Felder

Stop Telling Women to Smile is an art series by Tatyana Fazlalizadeh. The work attempts to address gender based street harassment by placing drawn portraits of women, composed with captions that speak directly to offenders, outside in public spaces.
I Find this Media Campaign  to be extremely effective  as a dominant peice of reading and visual representation. 
In the world where we are tied up by media and advertising  that is consistently degrading and objectifying woman, this series gives simple and powerful  truth to how woman should, and should NOT be treated. 

http://stoptellingwomentosmile.tumblr.com/












1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you posted this because when I heard about it I thought it was an awesome series. As women we are constantly told to be smiling, and I must add often times smiling has been beneficial to me in certain situations. People are more likely to be nice to me when I'm smiling and I find that when I don't smile I come across as mean or cold. I'm curious if this is something that can change or whether I will always appear unfriendly or mad if I don't have a smile across my face. Do others have similar experiences?

    ReplyDelete