Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Reflection 2

I enjoyed watching "Celluloid Closet" last week because it discussed the different ways that gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered people are portrayed in Hollywood. One of the main ideas that the film had was that homosexuality is often treated as something to laugh, pity or fear. It is very saddening that homosexuals are being treated as lesser beings.

One of the moments that stuck to me was when one of the gay men interviewed said that he was fine with being gays being portrayed negatively because he is just concerned with them being represented. It did not matter to him that they were being degraded and I find myself not agreeing with him. I think that I would rather not have any representation than be represented very negatively. I remember that the professor posed that question in class too a couple of weeks ago and the class had somewhat of a 50/50 split.


No comments:

Post a Comment