Sunday, September 30, 2012

Media Moment, Women in the Arab world

Due to recent events taking place in NY as well as the rest of the world, I found myself more and more concerned with the way Arabs are being presented in the media. Being that i am an Arab myself, I get extremely emotional whenever Arabs are in the media because they are always being depicted as "the bad guys".
I know that we will be talking about Arab women in the media later on in the semester, but I came across this documentary that i found extremely interesting about Arabs in films and didn't want to forget to post it later. Some of the things Dr. Shaheen speaks about are things that never even crossed my mind but really got me thinking. He speaks a little bit about Arab women at around 12 minutes, but I highly recommend that anyone who has the time watch the whole thing.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/reel-bad-arabs/

When we get to the Arab section in the syllabus, I'll post more about some of the incredible things Arab women have done ( Including a woman who has invented machined to detect and slow down cancer, AIDS, and liver disease)

As of this moment I don't want to ask the class any questions since we still have a while before we get to that part of the syllabus, but please let me know if anyone has seen the documentary or is just interested in discussing the Arab world, I'd be more than happy to answer any questions :)

Alya Fetyani

No comments:

Post a Comment