Monday, December 5, 2011

Sinfully Delicious

I was online looking for this Duane Reade Gelato advertisement that I was controversial until I stumbled onto this one on images. This was a way more controversial gelato ad than DR ad which only had a picture of the brand ice creams and text that said, " You'll start to forget him by the 4th spoonful." The ad right here is of Federici's "Sinfully Delicious Gelato" and you can see a sacrilegious nun and pastor. On one side they are touching each other physically and the other just gazing at each other sexually with the gelato in their hands.

My question is: Are the advertisers trying to say even people who are thought to be religious still act bad and why is the pastor still the aggressor? Couldn't it have been the nun? 

-Denisse G

3 comments:

  1. Wow. Its hard to find the right words to describe this advertisement. Personally, I find it appalling. I never understand why advertisers think its funny to mock religion (and so many other things for that matter). Just leave people's religion alone. Anyway, to answer your question, I think the advertiser is using the concept of the forbidden to sell their product, while mocking religious figures, and that the nun looks just as aggressive as the priest to me. Interesting post Denisse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly don't understand the reasoning behind using religious imagery for a gelato ad, regardless, this ad is very disturbing. I actually think that the ad has little to do with commenting on the lives of the clergy, rather, it seems to be using sacrilege as a means of making revenue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting that they chose to have the man half naked in one picture but the woman fully clothed in both. I think that's what makes him seem like the agressor. Peculiar ad.

    ReplyDelete